The FDA has today our time published notice of a daylong public meeting on the 12th July 2018 to discuss “animal cell culture technology” aka Clean Meat.
Topics to be covered include;
– “What considerations specific to animal cell culture technology would be appropriate to include in evaluation of food produced by this method of manufacture?
– What kinds of variations in manufacturing methods would be relevant to safety for foods produced by animal cell culture technology?
– What kinds of substances would be used in the manufacture of foods produced using animal cell culture technology and what considerations would be appropriate in evaluating the safety of these uses?
– Are the hazards associated with production of foods using animal cell culture technology different from those associated with traditional food production/processing (such as, for example, insanitary conditions, improper temperature controls, or control of contaminants)?
– Is there a need for unique control measures to address the hazards associated with production of foods using animal cell culture technology?”
Will it be civil exchange of views or an all in brawl? Only time will tell, but it sure will be interesting!