It’s been out for a while, but the Table of Disruptive Technologies prepared by the Imperial College London has a fascinating range of technologies.
It shows technologies on 4 horizons;
- Happening now.
- Near future 10-20 years hence.
- Distant future 20 years plus.
- Fringe Science and Technology – highly improbable but not impossible.
From a food perspective the technologies in each category are;
- Precision agriculture/Cultured Meat/Vertical Agriculture.
- 3D printing of food.
Some of the things I would add to each horizon;
- Insect protein/Acellular animal products/Robot kitchens.
- Biomass from CO2/Microbiome manipulation/Personalised nutrition.
- Digitised food.
- Star Trek replicator.